Under general supervision of the Manager of Procurement, the Specialty Buyer will be
responsible for the procurement of all categories that fall under the guidelines of the Specialty
Department. They will work closely with the Vice President of Sales on all new category roll-
outs and will be responsible for training the sales team on all new category roll-outs.
● Articulate - able to express ideas fluently and coherently
● Negotiating Skills - personable, but strong-willed; able to pay attention to subtext and
● Organized - Orderly and timely with work; able to multitask easily
● Critical Thinking - able to use multiple intellectual disciplines to analyze, evaluate and
solve problems and follow through with execution
● Analytical - able to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and make decisions
● Technical Acumen - able to make keen judgments, having accuracy and showing
perception in a particular field of work such as computer software and/ or reporting
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Build strong relationships with retail purchasing partners that promote effective, open
● Maintain a 99.7% fill rate in the retail category.
● Secures and analyzes quotations; negotiates prices and terms with suppliers; and
recommends suppliers with respect to cost, quality, and delivery competitiveness for
● Set up new specialty items / discontinue old specialty items
● Maintain awareness of market trends, technology, and food safety to help determine
● Minimize shrinkage/spoilage of fresh fruits and vegetables.
● Prepares specialty purchase orders or bid requests.
● Participate in all Sales meetings.
● Work-with’s when requested buy sales team members
● Responsible for PO accuracy (updating PO’s from passing)
● Monitor movement of all specialty items including managing inbound routes.
● Communicates with vendors to find retail opportunities for Ads.
● Communicate effectively to all department supervisors.
● Contacts vendors regarding discrepancies with quantity and quality.
● Interfaces with all departments and resolves problems and issues.
● Review bid proposals and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope
● Communicate favorably purchasing opportunities to the Director of Procurement.
● Manage specialty inventory levels daily.
● Maintain a safe and organized work environment to meet set Company safety
● Ensure that all work activities are performed with the highest standards regarding
food safety and providing feedback for continuous process improvement.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University preferred with an emphasis in
business administration, economics, and/or management.
● Three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible purchasing and materials control
experience in a retail / produce environment.
● Proficiency in Google Suite or MicrosoftOffice.
● Two plus years previous experience in procurement and procurement software required;
Produce Pro experience a plus.
● One year plus experience with an analytics report writing tool .
● Strong interpersonal and organizational skills necessary.
● Excellent ability to communicate, written and verbal, with all levels of management,
customers and vendors while displaying professionalism and confidentiality at all times.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously along with excellent time management
● Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
● Must be a team builder.
● Must be able to work with all levels of personnel within the Company(s), outside
customers, and vendors.