Transportation Assistant Supervisor
The Transportation Assistant Supervisor will work under the direction of the Transportation Shift Supervisor, responsible for providing guidance and support to the building’s operational leadership team, overseeing CDL and Non CDL driver, driving performance and process adherence. Develop and implement systems and processes to improve food safety, increase productivity, enhance on-time performance, improve employee training and retention, and ensure customer satisfaction. Invest in employee relationships in a supportive manner to ensure a positive work culture that fosters employee retention.
- Leads and supervises a 6 day a week Transportation Operation to achieve key indicators that support set strategic objectives by fostering customer service and ensuring process integrity.
- Achieve safe, timely, and accurate deliveries to customers via a thorough working knowledge of multi-stop routing systems and dispatch procedures.
- Maintains routing software system parameters and analyzes existing routes and drives improved efficiencies.
- Ensure routes are scheduled and sequenced in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Determines daily driver staffing needs to ensure timely deliveries and DOT compliance; utilizes route optimization to ensure excellent customer service.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining routes to ensure efficient and the most effective delivery routes in delivering products to customers.
- Review driver logs, hours of service, and other DOT requirements to ensure compliance with all state, local and federal regulations.
- Oversees the proper selection utilization of company assets in support of the Delivery department.
- Organizes required repairs with proper departments as necessary.
- Enforces and upholds Company policies, protocols and procedures including but not limited to food safety, DOT, record keeping, etc.
- Coordinates efforts with the Safety department to aid in training, conducting associate observations, up-dating preferred work methods, conducting accident investigations to determine root causes and routine safety inspections.
- Executes management functions of staff selection, development, discipline, performance reviews and/or terminations.
- Creates and leads the structure of High Performance to engage the team to utilize continuous improvement and lean tools to optimize results within the quality team.
- Work with Transportation Leadership to develop standard operating procedures (SOP's) and ensure SOP's are consistently followed by all employees, and updated as required.
- Identifying inefficient opportunities, developing new processes and leading change initiatives with the focus on continually striving to streamline the overall operation and reduce operating costs by recognizing signs that create operational problems (i.e. route performance, invoice and collection compliance, asset management and tracking, RMA coding and errors, etc.. ) and provide detailed action steps required of Transportation Management to reconcile.
- Excellent understanding of SOP (s), GMP (s), and SQFP (s) Programs.
- Investigates, identifies and communicates documented root cause and corrective actions for noncompliance.
- Maintains customer quality satisfaction through inspection of raw materials, in-process materials, production processes, environmental conditions, and finished products.
- Ensures the timely compliance to all corporate, divisional, and customer correlation/calibration programs.
- Performs the duties of associates supervised and other related duties as needed (and as qualified).
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours to manage a three-shift operation.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience supervising direct reports.
- Minimum three (3) years working in Transportation and Routing in Consumer Packaging Goods or the Produce Industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of increased complexity such as working in another functional or technical area, significant project assignments, job rotation, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Food Safety Programs
- Experience developing, coaching and motivating employees in a team-based environment.
- Understanding of the importance of Cost of Quality
- Demonstrated analytical skills to determine root cause and deliver corrective actions.
- Sustained demonstrated leadership in a high-performance environment.
- Successful management of projects through to successful completion
- Demonstrated understanding of how day to day decisions affect business results, customers, staffing, materials, processing, and maintenance.
EXPECTED PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An employee should contact his or her Supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that accommodation is needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to meet all warehouse environment physical demands. Lifting objects up to 60 lbs. may be necessary. Pushing objects up to 500 lbs. This position requires moderate climbing, kneeling, crawling, stooping, squatting, or bending. It does require working in a constant 34-degree temperatures in coolers, as well as, a below 0 degree cooler.
Work Environment and Environmental Conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Work environment is usually fast paced with frequent short deadlines and regular instances of critical or unusual situations requiring a high level of adaptability and flexibility.
- Field of work includes offices, the refrigerated warehouse and surrounding grounds.
- Limited hazards due to visits to the warehouse and surrounding areas.
The employee also understands that nothing in this restricted job description is intended to, nor does it change the at will employment status with Capitol City Produce. The employee will acknowledge that they have read and understand the position description and agree to accept the responsibilities and obligations outlined above by signing and dating below.
Capitol City Produce is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.